Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Garmisch-Partenkirchen

So I said I would post about our travels on here but I'm a slacker and so this post is a month and a half late. Sorry! Since I'm using Facebook less now, yay political season, I plan to keep our family and friends updated more often on here.

In January we visited Garmisch-Partenkirchen for my birthday. The city of Garmisch-Partenkirchen is actually two cities who combined in 1935. It is mostly a resort town known for skiing and alpine hiking. The week after we visited Lindsey Vonn won the downhill race at the Alpine Skiing World Cup being held there, it was a record setting 38th downhill win for her, the most by any woman in a specific discipline!



We had a fantastic time! I got to ski again for the first time in 14 years (I snowboarded from age 14-22). And it was the first time I was on the slopes at all in 6 years! I forgot how much I absolutely love skiing. I'm pretty terrible at most sports, anyone who knows me knows how uncoordinated I am, but skiing is definitely my thing, and luckily it's like riding a bike; a few runs and it all came back! I've skied all over the US but skiing in The Alps was hands down the most memorable. I wish I had more pictures from the top, next time I'll have to wear the Go Pro!



Mauricio went to daycare for the first time while we were there and loved it, and all the daycare workers loved him as well. This is wonderful since he'll be going to daycare for a few hours twice a week starting next week so I can go to the gym. I'm hoping this will be beneficial for both of us; socialization for him, and exercise for me!

But back to Garmisch, on my actual birthday we went to the top of Zugspitze, which is Germany's highest peak (2,962m summit). We took a gondola to the top and then a train back down so we could check out all the views. Although there were white out conditions at the top it was still super amazing.







I got to have coffee and cake at the top of a mountain for my birthday, nothing better!



One of the most touristy things to do to in the area is to visit Neuschwanstein, which is Germany's most popular castle and the inspiration behind Cinderella's castle at Walt Disney World. It was built by King Ludwig II, who had a fascinating controversial life and death, and it is beyond opulent. Although it was never fully completed the rooms you can see are incredibly decorated and preserved. They have a very strict no cameras rule inside, we even witnessed someone get kicked out for breaking this rule, so I only have photos from the outside.



You park pretty far away from the castle and either have to walk up a pretty steep hill to get to it or you can opt to take a carriage ride up for a few Euros. We opted for the carriage since it was cold and I forgot the carrier for Mauricio. 




This is another castle in the area:



We also went to Gasthof Fraundorfer for dinner at the suggestion of a friend. It is well known and loved in the area for their traditional Bavarian food and entertainment. Mauricio really enjoyed the knee slap dancing and yodeling, but his favorite part was eating a large amount of daddy's amazing schweinebraten. I highly recommend eating dinner there if you ever visit Garmisch!

I'm currently planning a few more trips for us to take in the next 6 months so check back for updates. We miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment